Old Fashioned Custard
recipe from the Woman’s Home Companion Cookbook
• 4 large eggs
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 3 cups of whole milk, scalded
• Freshly grated nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
2. Beat the eggs slightly. Add the sugar, salt and vanilla; whisking constantly, slowly add the scalded milk.
3. Strain the mixture into the custard cups (I needed 7 cups); grate nutmeg over each custard, and place in a pan containing hot water. The water should cover the cups up to the level of the custard.
4. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean.